Student Services

Academic Advising at Tisch

You will meet with an academic adviser from your department at least once a semester to discuss course selections for the following term, but you can also schedule additional meetings as questions arise throughout the year. To get the most out of your meeting with your adviser, it’s important to come prepared.

The Academic Services team supplements departmental advising and is available to advise you in any area of your academic life at Tisch.

Contact Academic Services if you have any questions about registration, degree requirements, study away, minors, exceptions to policies, or anything else related to your academic career. Academic Services is located in the Tisch Office of Student Affairs and they are here to help you. Call 212-998-1900 or email them at to arrange a time to meet.

What courses should I take next semester? What are the remaining requirements to fulfill my major? When should I study abroad? These are some of the questions an academic adviser in your department can help answer.

The Academic Services staff in the Office of Student Affairs is also available to help. They handle the awarding of AP credits, registration changes, minors, second majors, exceptions to academic policies, and anything else related to your academic life. They also work closely with department advisers to to make sure you get the best possible guidance.

Student Employment

Students whose financial aid packages suggests “academic year earnings” are eligible for College Work-Study. Work-Study positions in TSOA typically pay a minimum of $16.00 an hour. College Work-Study students are required to monitor their earnings in order to anticipate when they will reach their Work-Study maximum. Students should consult with a supervisor when they are close to reaching the award limit.

Students who wish to be employed by NYU must register with the Wasserman Center for Career Development, located at 133 E. 13th Street, 2nd floor (212-998-4730), or online at Career Development and Jobs. Students must provide proof of employment eligibility. Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents should contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) for the proper forms and for a letter confirming your eligibility to work on campus. Please note that this letter can take up to ten days to prepare. OGS is located at 383 Lafayette Street.

The NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development has listings of all jobs available in the University (and some off-campus), which students may peruse once registered. These can be found on their NYU Handshake platform. Students with College Work-Study grantees are urged to find their jobs as quickly as possible in order to get their grants activated. Additional information about work-study jobs in TSOA may be found on the Tisch College Central platform, managed by the Tisch Office of Career Development.

Academic Resource Center

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) offers peer tutoring, group study sessions and academic skills workshops for all University students. Students come to the ARC for help with classes, exam reviews, paper writing, study skills tips, and much more. All sessions are offered on a walk-in basis, and feature tutoring by experienced upper-level students. The ARC is located at 18 Washington Place. Information on services and hours can be found at Academic Resource Center.

TSOA Counseling Service

The Office of Counseling Services at Tisch is affiliated with both the Tisch Office of Student Affairs and Counseling and Wellness Services at the NYU Student Health Center. The Office of Counseling Services, located on the 12th floor of 721 Broadway, is staffed by two senior social workers. To schedule an appointment, call (212) 998-4780. All appointments are free and confidential.

Additional Information