Financial Aid


Scholarships & Financial Aid

Financial aid packages are available to assist many students who would not otherwise be able to pursue a professional education at NYU Silver.

To be considered for financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year they study at NYU Silver. Instructions are available on the FAFSA website. If students need assistance filling out the FAFSA, they should call the Federal Student Aid Center at 1-800-433-3243 for live support. Counselors in the NYU Office of Financial Aid are also available to assist students completing the FAFSA. While there is no deadline for the FAFSA, it is recommended that students fill the forms out as quickly as possible to determine their financial aid status. The NYU school code for the FAFSA is 002785.

For more information about federal financial aid, please visit the NYU Office of Financial Aid.

Many international students inquire about obtaining financial aid to assist with the expenses of a DSW degree at NYU. There is very little financial aid available to international students.

If you are receiving aid in excess of what you are charged by the University, you may be eligible to receive a refund. To inquire if you qualify for a refund, or when you may expect one, please contact the Office of the Bursar or access the refund guide.

Another good resource for alternative funding is working on campus. The FAFSA typically provides funding for these jobs, which allow students to earn extra income working on campus around their academic schedules. These jobs are typically less time consuming than most full-time jobs and may alleviate miscellaneous educational expenses like books and transportation. Jobs are posted on the Wasserman Center for Career Development’s website.

Working in the public service sector (such as social work) may allow you to cancel some of your loan debt. Learn more about Public Service Loan Forgiveness and the qualifications on the US Department of Education website. Other organizations such as NASW and NYS Higher Education Services Corporation offer loan forgiveness for social workers.

Income-Based Repayment (IBR) Plan caps your required monthly federal student loan payments at an amount intended to be affordable based on your income and family size. Under the IBR requirements, you might be eligible for the ten-year Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Read more about the IBR Plan.


Scholarships & Financial Aid

Full-time students are awarded a Research Fellowship for four years to support their doctoral studies. The Fellowship includes:

  • full tuition and registration service fee waivers for required coursework;
  • dental and comprehensive health coverage; and
  • a nine-month academic-year graduate assistantship stipend in the amount of $32,000.

Students who receive a Research Fellowship are required to devote 20 hours per week on their mentored Research Practicum with a Silver faculty member.

The program may offer students opportunity for a paid research and teaching during the course of study. The program also offers competitive internal awards to support dissertation research, as well as national conference travel.