This research-based PhD program in Educational Theatre is designed for individuals who intend to pursue positions as academics, researchers, scholars, curriculum developers, and educational consultants. Doctoral studies provide comprehensive research and artistic training to enable graduates to have a significant impact on scholarship in educational theatre. Students gain a foundation in education, cognate study, research electives, and course work in a specialized research methodology, as well as develop their expertise in one of four areas of specialization
- Drama in Education (i.e., studies in drama/theatre curriculum, special education, integrated arts, assessment and evaluation)
- Applied Theatre (i.e., studies in community-based theatre, theatre of the oppressed, the teaching artist, diversity and inclusion)
- Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production (i.e., studies in acting, directing, dramaturgy, playwriting, dramatic literature, arts-based research methodologies)
- Drama Therapy (Note that this PhD is not a credentialing program leading to licensure. See Drama Therapy (MA) if that is your area of interest.)
Admission to graduate programs in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development requires the following minimum components:
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
See NYU Steinhardt's Graduate Admissions website for additional information on school-wide admission. Some programs may require additional components for admissions.
See How to Apply for admission requirements and instructions specific to this program.