Financial Aid

The Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) offers an extensive program of funding support. Funding decisions, based solely on merit, are made by the departments with the Dean's review.

Funding for most GSAS doctoral students includes a multi-year, full-funding support package through the MacCracken Program. The MacCracken package includes a full-tuition scholarship, a generous and competitive stipend, a Dean's Supplementary Fellowship Grant for start-up educational costs, remission of fees, and student health insurance coverage. In addition to financial support, students have the opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience.

Master's students should contact the director of graduate studies in their department or program to see if scholarship funding or adjunct positions are available. Master's students who receive competitive fellowships from external agencies may be eligible to apply for matching tuition awards through the Graduate School's Tuition Incentive Program (TIP). Most external fellowship application deadlines are due in the fall, and funding begins the following fall. If you are interested in securing an external scholarship or fellowship for tuition funding be sure to apply at the same time you are applying for your graduate program. Please visit the TIP section on our website for details, which includes a list of organizations that have funded our students in the past. The TIP application is due by August 31 each year.

The Graduate School encourages applications from individuals who come from diverse backgrounds and whose academic and research experience and plans will contribute significantly to diversity and academic excellence at the Graduate School. Our Diversity and Access Funding Programs provide a limited number of awards to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who apply for fall admission to many of our master’s and doctoral programs. 

Students admitted to GSAS can search for on and off campus employment, including federal work-study positions and internships, through our Wasserman Center for Career Development. Students can learn about Resident Assistantships opportunities through the Office of Resident Life and Housing Services. Please note that incoming graduate students can apply for a position only after they have completed one semester at NYU. 

Further information is available online at Financial Aid.

Fellowships and Awards

The Graduate School offers a variety of support services for current graduate students seeking funding for short-term and long-term fellowship opportunities. These services include individualized fellowship advising, information sessions, grant writing workshops, and general application support. Some of the sources of funding available through the University and the Graduate School are listed below. Further information is available online at Fellowships and Awards.

Alternative Funding Sources

Funding for Master’s Programs

Financial aid is available in certain departments and programs. Applicants should submit the admissions application by the program’s specified deadline date. In addition, master’s students are eligible for awards through the Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program (TIP). Recent graduates of the College of Arts and Science at NYU may be eligible for a tuition award through the GSAS/CAS Tuition Program. For more specific information regarding eligibility and the availability of fellowships, applicants should contact the director of graduate studies in the department or program, or contact Graduate Enrollment Services.

Funding for International Students

To secure a visa, international students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funding to complete the degree. International students who apply by the specified deadline date and are admitted to the Graduate School are automatically considered for Graduate School fellowships and scholarships as well as for research assistantships. Most loan programs are restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Many international students obtain support for their educational expenses from their government, a foundation, or a private agency. In many cases, these students are eligible to receive matching tuition funds through the Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program. Applicants should contact Graduate Enrollment Services for specific details.

Residential Life Staff Positions

The Office of Residential Life and Housing Services annually offers a limited number of professional staff positions to students who wish to work with residential undergraduate and graduate students to promote interpersonal connections, community, and academic enhancements within our residence halls. Students in these positions serve as peers who assess, organize, and implement social and educational activities within and around the residence halls. In addition, as representatives of the Department of Residential Education, RAs and CEAs are sources of information, support, and referral and enforce housing and residential educational policy. You may find detailed information at Residential Life & Housing Services Staff.

Other Financial Aid-Federal, State, and Private Programs


To be considered for financial aid, students must be officially admitted to NYU or matriculated in a degree program and making satisfactory academic progress toward degree requirements. University-administered federal and state awards are not automatically renewed each year. Continuing students must submit the FAFSA each year by the NYU deadline, continue to demonstrate financial need, make satisfactory progress toward degree requirements, and be in good academic standing. Please consult Financial Aid and Scholarships for current information about satisfactory academic progress evaluations and policies.

It is the student’s responsibility to supply true, accurate, and complete information on the FAFSA and to notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately of any changes or corrections in his or her housing status or financial situation, including tuition remission benefits or outside grants, once the application has been made. Determination of financial need is also based on the number of courses for which the student registers. A change in registration therefore may necessitate an adjustment in financial aid.

Veterans Benefits

Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for sons, daughters, and spouses of deceased or permanently disabled veterans as well as for veterans and in-service personnel who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces after January 1, 1955. In these programs, the amount of benefits varies.

Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans benefits is subject to change, veterans and their dependents should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs. For additional information and assistance in completing the necessary forms, contact the Office of the University Registrar at For Veterans

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.

Loan Programs

For information about Federal Loans and Private (Non-Federal) Alternative Loans please see Types of Financial Aid at

Tuition Remission

Members of the NYU staff, teaching staff, and officers or administrators and their dependents who are eligible for NYU tuition remission are not eligible for other forms of financial aid administered by the University (including merit awards). Eligibility can be reviewed for other types of aid including: Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), TAP Grants, Federal Pell Grants, and some private (non-federal) alternative loan programs if the appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid is completed. Details about tuition remission eligibility information can be obtained at Benefits

Employee Education Plans

Many companies pay all or part of the tuition of their employees under tuition refund plans. Employed students attending the University should ask their personnel officers or training directors about the existence of a company tuition plan. Students who receive tuition reimbursement and NYU employees who receive tuition remission from NYU must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they receive this benefit.


Students considering employment that would require a significant portion of their time should discuss their plans with a Graduate Enrollment Services counselor. Students on full-funding support must obtain the permission of a departmental representative and the dean of the Graduate School if they wish to secure employment.

Students who study at the Graduate School on temporary visas should fully understand the regulations concerning permissible employment under those visas. Before making plans for employment in the United States, international students should consult with the Office of Global Services; 212-998-4720; e-mail:

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program supports a range of research and administrative employment opportunities within the University. Eligible students are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who show need for funding. To be eligible, a student must complete a FAFSA and must demonstrate financial need.

Federal Work-Study jobs are secured through the University’s Wasserman Center for Career Development, 133 East 13th Street, 2nd Floor; 212-998-4730.