Admission to Degree Programs

The Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) offers admission to applicants who hold the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent foreign credentials) and who show promise of superior scholarly achievement.

Each department establishes its standards for admission. Successful applicants have distinguished academic records, strong recommendations from instructors or others qualified to evaluate academic ability, and well-articulated research goals. Graduate School and departmental application requirements, including testing requirements [the Graduate Record Examination and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)], are provided in the Programs, Requirements and Deadlines section of the GSAS Application Resource Center at Each applicant is considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, and any other legally protected basis.

Registration at New York University requires notification of admission by the Graduate School’s Graduate Enrollment Services office. Permission to study in the Graduate School of Arts and Science does not imply admission to degree candidacy. Other sections of this bulletin outline degree candidacy requirements.

For detailed information regarding the admissions process and requirements, applicants should consult the GSAS Application Resource Center on the Web at

Entering Student Application Deadlines

The Graduate School expects all students to demonstrate the ability to understand and communicate in English, both orally and in written form. To evaluate proficiency, the school requires applicants whose native language is not English to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The Graduate School recommends that the applicant achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 100 on the internet-based test, and recommends a minimum overall band score of 7 for IELTS. The Graduate School does not prohibit applicants with lower scores from applying for admission since many factors influence the admission decision. Some departments or programs in the Graduate School may set a higher TOEFL and IELTS standard for admission.

Individuals intending to enter into or remain in the United States on a student or exchange visitor visa must submit appropriate evidence of financial ability. The issuance of certificates for student visas (Form I-20) or exchange visitor visas (Form DS-2019) will be delayed until such evidence is received. If an admitted student’s studies are being financed by means of personal savings, family support, outside private or government scholarships, or any combination of these, he or she must arrange to send official letters or similar certification as proof of such support, when applying for the Form I-20 or DS-2019, following instructions provided by the Office of Global Services (OGS). Students holding F-1 visas may not work without permission from OGS or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security. Employment outside the University may not be used as a means to meet educational and living expenses while studying in the United States.

See also the Office Global Services Web site at

Readmission and Deferment

In all departments, an offer of admission to the Graduate School permits a student to enroll for the first time only in the term of entry for which she or he was specifically admitted.

If a student declines an offer of admission or does not register for the expected first term, the Graduate School requires a new application. In some departments, the director of graduate studies (DGS) will grant an extension to the student with the approval of the Graduate School. As additional credentials may be required by the Graduate School in such cases, students should consult with Graduate Enrollment Services.

Students who are not enrolled for two consecutive semesters must apply for readmission. The Office of Academic and Student Affairs must approve all applications for readmission for a student to return to the Graduate School.

Admission for Non-Degree or Visiting Students and Auditors

Occasionally an applicant will demonstrate a particular need to study at the Graduate School without entering a degree program. A few special students are permitted to register in GSAS each year as non-degree students, auditors, or visiting students.

Applicants should contact the department of interest before applying, to confirm that special students are considered for admission. International applicants should consult with an adviser in Graduate Enrollment Services before making the decision to apply to be sure that the planned course of study will be appropriate given immigration status.

Applicants for special student status must complete the application for admission, including academic transcripts that confirm he or she holds a baccalaureate degree. Applicants must meet the same application deadlines as students who seek degrees. Students may enroll for a maximum of 12 points of credit over not more than three consecutive semesters. If an applicant attended an international college or university, the Graduate School will evaluate the credentials for equivalency before granting permission to register. For additional information, refer to the GSAS Non-degree Application Instructions in the Application Resource Center at

Non-degree Students

The Graduate School recognizes that students occasionally choose to study without seeking admission to a degree program. If a non-matriculant ultimately enrolls in a degree program, courses taken at the Graduate School may sometimes, but not always, be credited toward the degree.


Students may register as auditors in some of the departments of the Graduate School. Auditing requires the permission of the instructor and the director of graduate studies (DGS) of the program. Auditors pay full tuition for courses; no academic credit is awarded, and the work can never be applied toward a degree.

Visiting Students

Visiting students in the Graduate School of Arts and Science must be eligible to register in a master’s or doctoral degree program at their home institution.

In order to register as a visiting student, applicants must secure the approval of the dean of their home institution and of the appropriate department in the Graduate School of Arts and Science.

Visiting students are not eligible for any form of financial aid. New York University awards full credit for all satisfactorily completed courses.

Visiting students attending during the summer should refer to the New York University Summer Sessions paragraphs below.

New York University Summer Sessions

The Graduate School of Arts and Science offers a wide variety of courses in its two summer sessions. The first summer session begins in May; the second summer session starts in July. The Faculty of Arts and Science also offers opportunities for summer graduate study abroad, allowing graduate students to explore international opportunities while studying languages, politics, and cultures. For further information regarding summer sessions and study abroad, visit the Web site at summer.html and also in the GSAS Application Resource Center at

Students admitted to the Graduate School of Arts and Science may, in some cases, elect to enroll in the summer. These students should consult a departmental adviser about registration procedures. Students needing additional information should consult Graduate Enrollment Services at the Graduate School, 212-998-8050.

Visiting students interested in taking courses in the summer sessions should be aware that not all graduate courses are open to visiting students. They should therefore contact the relevant department and ask about specific courses that interest them. (Department contact information is listed for each course on the Web site at Once they have determined that they can enroll in a course, visiting students must complete and submit an application form to GSAS Graduate Enrollment Services. They must also submit an official transcript from their home institution. Other application materials may be required, depending upon the department. For additional information, refer to the GSAS Summer Session Application Instructions in the Application Resource Center at