The Master of Science in Economics at NYU Abu Dhabi provides program graduates with the theoretical and quantitative foundations for a successful professional career in national and international policymaking institutions, or for continuing PhD studies at the world’s best doctoral programs in economics. The master’s program aims to satisfy the demanding requirements of modern economic theory and practice.
Students will learn to:
- Collect, analyze, and present economic data using the latest statistical and econometric methods.
- Assess current social and economic challenges (e.g., the sustainability of a social security system or the impact of a change in the tax code) through the lens of state-of-the art empirical, theoretical, and computational models.
The master’s program builds naturally on NYU Abu Dhabi’s strong undergraduate major in economics, leveraging the significant existing teaching and research strength of the faculty. A strong quantitative perspective will prepare graduates for the depth of understanding necessary for leadership as well as the tools required to expand the frontiers of knowledge.
Housed within Social Science and drawing on an international faculty and student body, the program will benefit from the intercultural insights, the broadest international challenges and the nuanced role of economics within the full array of social science methodologies.
The Master of Science in Economics is a rigorous program that prepares students for careers in both academia and policy making. First semester topics include:
In addition, students are encouraged to learn computer programming—a skill in ever-increasing demand.
In the second semester, students will choose either an empirical or a theoretical course in econometrics, and pick three electives out of a selection of theoretical and applied courses.
Students in the Master of Science in Economics program get the opportunity to work with top faculty who are leading significant research in multidisciplinary centers and labs. NYU Abu Dhabi’s economics program recently ranked fifth in Asia in research output.
Applications for Fall 2024 will open in October, 2023.
- You must have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree before the program registration starts. The degree must be from an accredited institution. Official transcripts certifying conferral of a bachelor’s degree are required before the student can start the program.
- Your bachelor’s degree does not have to be in economics, but your application should demonstrate the mastery needed to engage effectively with graduate-level work in this program.
Our goal is to form a high-achieving cohort of master’s students for this program, and admissions decisions are made without knowledge of the individual's financial need.
In addition to the information below, the online application provides instructions to guide you. All sections of the application and the required supporting documents must be submitted online by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Do not submit any hard copy materials to NYU Abu Dhabi as part of the application process.
If you have any difficulties with the online application, please email the Graduate Admissions office from the email address associated with your application: email@example.com
After submitting the application, you will not be able to change or add information. You will receive a link to the Application Status Portal where you can track the status of your application.
Prepare the following required information when you are ready to start an application:
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended (copies accepted)
- Proof of English Proficiency (select the appropriate option in the application)
- You are from a designated list of English-speaking countries
- You have completed at least 4 years in a university program taught entirely in English
- Self-reported test scores for proof of English proficiency. Minimum scores: Academic IELTS = 6.5 / TOEFL iBT = 90 / DuoLingo = 120.
- A current CV or resume
- Essays responding to specific prompts provided in the application. Essays give you the opportunity to fully present yourself to the Selection Committee, and to provide insight into your experiences, goals, and thought processes.
- Academic writing samples (optional)
- Three letters of recommendation. You will provide the name, title and email of three recommenders. They will receive a request from NYUAD to upload a letter of recommendation for your application.
You have the option in the application to indicate if you would like to be considered for an academic merit-based scholarship. No other information needs to be provided to be considered for a scholarship.
Any information or materials submitted to NYU Abu Dhabi after the final application deadline are not guaranteed to be reviewed or considered by the Selection Committee.
You will receive an email when there are updates to your application status that can be viewed on the Application Status Portal. Your final official decision will be posted to your status page, and an admission decision from any other source of communication will be not considered official nor binding.
NYU Abu Dhabi reserves the right to validate the accuracy of your application information with appropriate sources, including the right to contact relevant individuals and organizations.
- Verification: After submitting your application, the admissions office checks that all supporting documents have been uploaded correctly and are readable. After this verification, the applications are made available to the Selection Committee for the initial review.
- Initial Review: The Selection Committee begins reviewing submitted applications after the application deadline. The committee looks at information from all parts of the application to form a complete picture of the applicant’s potential fit with the program.
- Shortlist: The Selection Committee places applicants who have the best fit for the program on a “shortlist”. These applicants are invited to an interview with the selection committee (usually online).
- Interview: During the interview, the applicant has the opportunity to provide more details about their motivations, education and experience. This gives the Selection Committee a more complete understanding of the applicant before making the admissions decision.
- Admissions Decision: Applicants who are offered admission will be notified by email to check the Application Status Portal where the admission letter can be viewed and downloaded. The applicant needs to confirm acceptance of the offer.
- Offer Acceptance: The applicant confirms acceptance of the admission offer via the Application Status Portal and pays the confirmation deposit.
Note! You must receive a UAE security clearance, and obtain an appropriate UAE visa if required by your residency status. NYU Abu Dhabi will facilitate these processes for admitted students. If for any reason you cannot obtain the security clearance or visa, your admissions offer may be rescinded.