Financial Aid

 Financial aid comes in three forms: scholarships and grants (funds that do not have to be repaid), loans (funds that do have to be paid back with interest), and work-study grants (funds that allow students to work for NYU in exchange for pay).

There are no separate applications for merit scholarships at NYU. The admissions application is used to determine whether students qualify for any scholarship where merit is considered. It is important to know that most scholarships at NYU are not based on merit alone, but on a combination of need and merit and require that students file their financial aid applications on time. The applications required to be considered for NYU scholarships depend on your citizenship status, and deadlines vary depending on which admissions cycle you apply to. See How to Apply for Aid for current information on how to apply.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To be considered for financial aid, students must be officially admitted to NYU or matriculated in a degree program. Most NYU scholarships are automatically renewed each year as long as a student is enrolled full-time. For students enrolled at least half-time, but less than full-time, NYU scholarships may be prorated. Students who are enrolled less than half-time are ineligible for NYU scholarships. Continuing students must file the FAFSA each year to be reviewed for federal aid eligibility.

For current information, please consult

Scholarships and Grants

Eligibility for need-based scholarships at NYU is determined upon entrance to the University based on a student’s demonstrated financial need. Since the amount of scholarship students receive in their first year is typically the amount they will continue to receive each year if they remain otherwise eligible, filing late can affect eligibility in future years. For current information, including required applications and deadlines, see How to Apply for Aid.

NYU offers very few scholarships that are awarded based only on merit. You will automatically be considered for merit-based scholarships upon entrance to NYU.

University-Sponsored and University-Administered Programs

Through the generosity of its alumni and others, as well as from funds supplied by the federal government, the University is able to provide financial support for its students. Awards are competitive and are based on a combination of academic achievement and, in most cases, financial need. Eligibility is based on the submission of the application for admission, and no separate application is necessary unless noted. For current information, see Scholarships and Grants.

Federal Scholarships and Grants

Eligibility is based on submission of the FAFSA.

State Grants

New York State offers a wide variety of grants and scholarships to residents, subject to the annual availability of funds. Application is made directly to the state, and grants are awarded by the state. New York State programs are listed at

After filing the FAFSA, New York State residents may also submit an application for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). TAP awards grants to qualified New York State residents attending New York University. For current information, see Scholarships and Grants.

Some students from outside New York State may qualify for funds from their own state scholarship programs that can be used at New York University. Contact the state financial aid agency (call 800-433-3243 to obtain contact information) to ask about program requirements and application procedures. Upon receiving an eligibility notice from your state program, students should submit it immediately to the NYU Office of Financial Aid.

Scholarships and Grants from Other Organizations

Students may be eligible for a private scholarship or grant from an outside agency. Some sources to explore are employers, unions, professional organizations, and community and special interest groups. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they receive funds from any of these sources. Students are not permitted to have more financial aid, including outside scholarships and grants, than their estimated cost of attendance, and a student’s financial aid package may be adjusted accordingly. Similarly, federal regulation prohibits a student from having more need-based federal aid than their demonstrated financial need. See Scholarships for more information.

Other Sources of Aid

Federal and Private Loans

For information about federal loans and private (non-federal) alternative loans, see Applying and Planning for Undergraduate Aid.

Student Employment

Most financial aid award packages include federal work study which is based on the student’s financial need as demonstrated on the FAFSA. This means that students are eligible to participate in the federal work study program and may earn up to the amount recommended in their award package. Work study wages are not credited to the student’s bill, but are instead paid directly to the student on a biweekly basis and are normally used for non-billable expenses such as books, transportation, and personal expenses. Work study positions are not guaranteed, though students interested in utilizing this resource can apply for open positions on campus through NYU Handshake, managed by the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development.

Resident Assistantships

Resident assistants reside in the residence halls and are responsible for organizing, implementing, and evaluating social and educational activities. Compensation is room and/or board, and/or a stipend. See Paraprofessional Recruitment: Residential Life for applications and additional information.

Tuition Remission

Beginning with the incoming class of Fall 2018, undergraduate dependents of employees with tuition remission may be eligible for scholarship above and beyond their tuition remission benefit if they would have been eligible for an amount greater than the tuition remission under the traditional scholarship review process. In order to be considered for this additional amount, students must file the CSS Profile on time and have financial need based on the CSS Profile. Students will be notified of their eligibility approximately at the time they are notified of admission if both of the financial aid forms are complete and filed on time. Eligibility can be reviewed for other types of aid including Federal Loans, TAP Grants, and Federal Pell Grants, if the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is completed. Tuition remission recipients may also apply for private (non-federal) alternative loans. Tuition remission in combination with all other sources of aid a student receives cannot exceed the cost of attendance. See Benefits for details about tuition remission eligibility.

Student Financial Aid Responsibilities

  • Most NYU scholarships are renewed automatically. The NYU Office of Financial Aid will reach out to students whose specific scholarships require them to refile each year.
  • Students must file the FAFSA for each academic year they wish to be reviewed for federal aid.
  • Consult for all financial aid application deadlines. Failure to meet the NYU deadline may result in a reduction of a student’s aid eligibility.
  • Use NYU Albert to accept financial aid awards.
  • If submitting documents to the Office of Financial Aid, put your University ID number on each page and keep a copy for yourself. Do not submit originals.
  • Be certain to understand the conditions of the awards accepted. Contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.
  • Adhere to satisfactory academic progress standards to remain eligible for federal financial aid. The Office of Financial Aid will send reminders, but it is the student’s responsibility to know and heed the requirements.
  • Notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately if any financial aid (scholarships or loans) is received from any external source. A change in resources may affect eligibility for student aid.
  • Respond immediately to all requests from the Office of Financial Aid. Failure to comply may result in the cancellation of aid.
  • Consult with the Office of Financial Aid immediately if the academic program is reduced to fewer credits, or if the student is enrolled in a full-time degree program but intends to begin part-time (less than 12 credits). Also contact the Office of Financial Aid if there is a change in housing status. A change in enrollment or housing status may affect the financial aid received.
  • Notify the University Registrar’s Office of any changes of address by updating contact information via NYU Albert. NYU uses the records of the University Registrar to administer financial aid.

For more information about scholarships and financial aid, please see NYU’s Office of Financial Aid, or call 212-998-4444.