Academic Policies

The following policies apply to Liberal Studies students enrolled in either the Liberal Studies Core program, or Global Liberal Studies (GLS) program, unless otherwise indicated.

Residency Requirements

The Liberal Studies Core is a four-semester program. Students planning to transition to one of the baccalaureate programs at NYU normally must complete four semesters of full-time enrollment in the LS Core. Full-time enrollment is defined as the completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours in each of the four semesters. Summer session enrollment will not be counted toward the residency requirement, with the exception of Spring Admissions students enrolled in the required 10-week Summer Session. Note: Other NYU schools and colleges where students may transition or transfer have specific residency requirements. LS Core students should consult the websites and bulletins of those schools and colleges for up-to-date information about these requirements.

GLS students are required to spend the fall and spring semesters of both the sophomore year and the senior year in residence on Washington Square in New York.


Students may officially graduate in September, January, or May. The all-University Commencement ceremony is held in May. The College holds a baccalaureate ceremony in May. Students must apply for graduation on Albert, and they must be enrolled for either course work, leave of absence, or maintenance of matriculation during their final semester.

To graduate in a specific semester, students must apply for graduation within the application deadline period indicated on the calendar available at the Office of the University Registrar's web page. It is recommended that students apply for graduation no later than the beginning of the semester in which they plan to complete all program requirements. Students who do not successfully complete all academic requirements by the end of that semester must reapply for graduation for the following cycle.

See GLS Graduation for more information.

Transfer and Articulation Agreements

Advanced Placement Credit and Global Liberal Studies Requirements

GLS participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. GLS students who present AP test results with the appropriate score (4 or 5) in approved subject areas may receive college credit toward the bachelor’s degree. Students who receive AP credit may not take the corresponding NYU course for credit. If they do so, they will forfeit the AP credit.

The only GLS degree requirements that AP credit may satisfy are in natural science or quantitative reasoning. AP credit in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics B may be used to substitute for both Physical and Life Science. AP credit in Environmental Science may be used to substitute for Life Science (as opposed to Physical Science for Core Program students). In addition, AP credit in Calculus, Statistics, Macroeconomics, and Microeconomics can be applied as a quantitative reasoning elective for GLS students.

Note that the AP equivalencies listed below are for students in GLS only. Students who declare certain cross-school minors or second majors should consult the LS Advising Center about advanced standing credits that may or may not apply to particular minors or second majors, or that may satisfy certain departmental prerequisites. The GLS core requirement will be satisfied with a score of 4 or 5 on the AP examination listed.

AP Examination

AP Examination Score Core Requirement Satisfied
Biology 4 or 5 Physical & Life Science
Chemistry 4 or 5 Physical & Life Science
Environmental Science 4 or 5 Life Science
Physics B 4 or 5 Physical & Life Science
Physics C—Mech. and Physics C—E&M 4 or 5 Physical & Life Science
Physics C—Mech. 4 or 5 Physical Science
Physics C—E&M 4 or 5 Physical Science
Physics 1 or 2 4 or 5 Physical Science
Physics 1 and 2 4 or 5 Physical & Life Science
Calculus AB or BC 4 or 5 Quantitative Elective
Statistics 4 or 5 Quantitative Elective
Microeconomics 4 or 5 Quantitative Elective
Macroeconomics 4 or 5 Quantitative Elective

Advanced Standing Credits

Advanced standing credits are college credits earned before entering NYU. Examples of advanced standing credits include those earned at other accredited colleges and universities before enrollment at NYU completed with a grade of B or better, and those earned through qualifying scores of 4 or 5 obtained on the Advanced Placement (AP) examinations. International Baccalaureate (IB), French Baccalaureate, Advanced Level (“A-Level”), Abitur, and certain other foreign maturity examination credits may also result in advanced standing credit. See Admission (Including Advanced Standing Credit by Examination) for a full list of approved examinations. Some courses taken at other colleges may not be honored by NYU.

LS accepts a maximum of 32 credits of advanced standing.* For spring admits, LS accepts a maximum of 8 transfer credits earned during the gap semester prior to enrollment, and a maximum of 32 credits from all advanced standing sources (both transfer and testing) combined. While GLS accepts up to 32 advanced standing credits, the structure of the program does not allow for early graduation. The work reflected by advanced standing credits will not substitute for any of the required courses in the LS Core or in GLS. The only requirements that advanced standing credits may satisfy for the LS Core and GLS are mathematics, science, and potentially foreign language (depending on the student’s major). See Advanced Placement Credit and Global Liberal Studies Requirements for more information.

Advanced standing credits must be submitted to the NYU Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center and are only then evaluated by the LS Advising Center. Students should request that official AP scores, college transcripts, and/or score reports for any other eligible examinations be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 383 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003. AP scores may also be sent electronically through CollegeBoard.

Students should also note that the various undergraduate schools and colleges at NYU have different policies on whether AP or other advanced standing credit will be accepted in fulfillment of major and other requirements. Students should consult with the LS Advising Center about advanced standing credits and how they will be counted.

For detailed information on AP, IB, and A-Level equivalences, please refer to the AP/IB/Advanced Levels equivalencies charts in the CAS bulletin.

In general, transfer credit may be awarded for satisfactory work completed at another accredited college or university upon receipt of an official transcript that demonstrates a qualifying grade. In granting credit, the following are considered: the content, complexity, and grading standards of courses taken elsewhere; individual grades attained by the applicant; the suitability of courses taken elsewhere for the program of study chosen for NYU; and the degree of preparation that completed courses provide for more advanced study at NYU.  Advanced standing credit toward the degree is given only for a grade of B or better for courses completed prior to enrollment at NYU, or a C or better for courses completed once enrolled at NYU, provided the credit fits into the selected program of study and courses were completed within the past 10 years. In addition, quarter hours will be converted to semester hours to determine the number of credits transferable to NYU; and credits based on semester hours will be transferred at face value to NYU.

Placement Exams

Placement Examinations in Foreign Languages

Most entering students take a placement test prior to their first registration in the College. Students who took a foreign-language SAT subject test while in high school are encouraged to present the score instead of or in addition to taking the College's test. (Please consult the table on SAT subject exams and the College Core Curriculum in the admission section of this Bulletin. Note that the College Board discontinued the subject exams as of January 2021 in the U.S. and after June 2021 internationally.)

Placement exams for the following languages are accessible online: Cantonese, French, German, Greek (modern), Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Mandarin (traditional and simplified), Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Tagalog (Filipino). To take an exam, go to and follow the appropriate links.

Online exams in these languages are for placement only, not exemption. Eligibility to take an in-person, paper exam for exemption from the CAS foreign language requirement is determined by a student's score on the online placement exam.

Some languages do not have online placement exams and are only tested on paper: Gaelic (Irish), arranged through Ireland House; and Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Hindi, and Urdu, all arranged through the Department of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. These written exams result either in an exemption from the foreign language requirement (see "foreign language" under College Core Curriculum in this Bulletin) or in placement into the appropriate-level course.

Whether online or written, these are reading examinations; students should choose to be tested in the language in which they have good reading skills.

Placement into a lower-level course means that the student must continue his or her studies of that language (or begin a new language) until completion of the intermediate two level of that language. In some cases, adjustments in placement may be made during the first weeks of class. Students who place at a level below that which they have completed at another college will lose transfer credit if they repeat foreign language course work at the College of Arts and Science.

A foreign language examination is required of all entering students with the following exceptions: students who will begin a language they have not previously studied; students whose entire secondary schooling was in a language other than English; and those who complete the sequence of required Expository Writing courses for international students. Students in these categories should contact the College Advising Center to verify that they have satisfied the foreign language requirement.

Information on foreign language placement and exemption testing can be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs, or by email:

Placement Examinations in Calculus and Mathematics for Economics

Students who intend to register for MATH-UA 121 Calculus I or MATH-UA 131 Mathematics for Economics I and do not meet any of the prerequisites listed in the mathematics section of this Bulletin must take a placement exam to determine their readiness to enter calculus. Students can also take placement exams to skip ahead in the Calculus I-II-III and Mathematics for Economics I-II-III sequences. Contact the Department of Mathematics, 251 Mercer Street; 212-998-3005.

Placement Examinations for Writing

Some students may be asked to register for an AELS support course in their first semester based on results from the TOEFL and an AELS placement questionnaire. The course is linked to the curriculum taught in other Liberal Studies courses, and it helps with both academic writing and contributing to class discussions, especially for those who may have less experience with the kinds of readings assigned in Liberal Studies. The LS-designed AELS course fits within the regular semester load and does not prevent anyone from completing their degree on time; it simply offers additional support to ensure academic success. As a non-credit course, it will not otherwise impact credit allowances, tuition charges, or potential study abroad options. LS Core students who place into the AELS support course will need to complete this course before transitioning out of the Core.

Non-NYU Study

Liberal Studies students are not permitted to pursue coursework at other universities while in the LS Core or Global Liberal Studies during the regular academic year. 

NYU does not normally accept summer school transfer credits taken at another university. Students may take such courses only with prior approval. LS students who wish to apply for approval must do so by filing a petition (forms are available through any academic adviser or on the Liberal Studies website) no later than the first of May preceding the summer in which work is to be taken. Students are also advised that courses taken during the summer at other universities may not fulfill requirements toward degrees and majors in the other undergraduate schools and colleges of NYU. LS students who wish to have summer work at another university substitute for courses or requirements at NYU will require approval from the appropriate NYU school or department, as well as from the LS Advising Center. To receive NYU credit once permission is granted, a student must earn a grade of C or better for courses completed once enrolled at NYU, and then arrange for all official transcripts and scores to be forwarded to the LS Advising Center, New York University, 726 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY, 10003.

LS Core students should consult their transition school if they would like to study outside of NYU in the junior or senior year, as policies vary by program and department.

See Advanced Standing Credits for information on how coursework completed prior to enrolling at NYU may be counted for college credit.

Online Courses

LS will only consider transfer credits for online courses if they are earned by a student at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning, and which receive a C or higher as demonstrated by an official transcript. Courses that meet those conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and--for LS Core students--in accordance with the limitations for online course credit established by the student’s expected transition program.

Summer Session/January Term Session NYU Courses

NYU offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit to supplement coursework during the regular fall and spring semesters. Summer Sessions are intensive courses offered at the New York City campus and global sites during summer recess. Certain courses may be offered online. Interested students should visit Summer Sessions and consult their academic adviser for registration guidance. January Term sessions are intensive courses offered at the New York City campus and global sites during winter recess. Interested students should visit January Term Sessions and consult their academic adviser for registration guidance.


To receive a final grade for a course, a student must be in regular attendance and satisfactorily complete all examinations and other assignments prescribed by the instructor. A student will not receive a grade for any course in which they are not officially registered.

The following grades are awarded and are computed in the grade point average: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and F. In general, A indicates excellent work; B indicates good work; C indicates satisfactory work; D indicates passable work and is the lowest passing grade; and F indicates failure. The weights assigned to the grades in computing the grade point average are as follows:

Grade Grade Points
A 4.000
A- 3.667
B+ 3.333
B 3.000
B- 2.667
C+ 2.333
C 2.000
C- 1.667
D+ 1.333
D 1.000
F 0.000

Computing the Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) can be obtained by determining the total of quality points earned and dividing that figure by the total number of quality hours earned. For example, if an LS student has completed an 18-credit schedule and receives grades of A, A-, B, and C+, respectively, in four 4-credit courses and a B+ in a 2-credit course, the student’s semester GPA would be computed as follows:

4.000 (A)  x 4 credits = 16.000
3.667 (A-)  x 4 credits = 14.668
3.000 (B)  x 4 credits = 12.000
2.333 (C+) x 4 credits = 9.332
3.333 (B+) x 2 credits = 6.666
Total quality points 58.666
GPA = 58.666 divided by 18 = 3.259
The total grade points (58.666) is divided by the number of graded credits completed (18) to obtain the GPA (3.259). Note: There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades. See “Pass/Fail Option” below for information about pass/fail policies, including those that apply specifically to LS students.

Course Repeat Policy

For students who matriculated in Liberal Studies as of Fall 2016 or later: A student who has taken a course for credit or who has obtained a W (withdrawal) in a course is permitted to repeat that course. Students may not repeat courses in a designated sequence after taking more advanced courses, and students with questions regarding course sequences should consult with the particular department offering the course. When a student repeats a course, no additional credit will be awarded. Both the original and subsequent grade will be displayed on the transcript; however, only the subsequent grade will be computed in the grade point average.

Grade Appeals

Students studying at the New York campus who have complaints about their final course grade should attempt in the first instance to resolve them by contacting the instructor of the course and voicing their concerns directly. If this is unsuccessful in resolving the student’s concerns, the student should speak to either the Associate Dean of Students or their academic adviser, who may attempt to bring about an informal resolution. If the matter cannot be resolved in this way, students may file a petition in writing using an online form provided by the Advising Office, which must be filed no later than 30 days after the final grade for the course has been posted. Petitions will be heard by the Committee on Academic Standards; the committee will deliberate and render a decision within 30 days of the petition’s submission. Any appeal of the decision must be made by the student directly to the Office of the Dean. The deadline for such appeals is 14 days from the date of the committee's decision. Students, responsible faculty, and administrators shall preserve the confidentiality of any student’s grade appeal.

Please note that there is a strong presumption of the instructor’s professional expertise in determining final grades. A petition for change of grade will only be granted when a student proves—through clear and convincing documented evidence—that the course grade the instructor assigned was erroneous. Possible grounds for a successful petition most commonly include: miscalculation of the final grade, based on the percentages in the course syllabus; misapplication of policies, such as the course policy on absences or lateness; and failure of submitted and graded work to be given credit by the instructor. The Committee on Academic Standards reviews final grades only; it does not review grades on individual assignments or course components.

For more information, refer to the Petition for Change of Grade Policy & Procedure document, available from the Forms & Academic Policies page on the Liberal Studies website.

I Grade

The grade of I (“Incomplete”) is a temporary grade that indicates that the student has, for good reason, not completed all of the course work, but that it is possible the student will eventually pass the course when all of the requirements have been completed. A student must ask the instructor for a grade of I and present documented evidence of illness or equivalent circumstances, and clarify the remaining course requirements with the instructor. If the instructor agrees, the student and instructor must fill out and sign an Incomplete Grade Agreement that specifies the work remaining and the submission deadline. Incomplete Grade Agreement Forms may be obtained from the Academic Advising Office; completed forms should be submitted to 

The incomplete grade is not awarded automatically. It is not used when there is no possibility that the student will eventually pass the course. Students have no more than one semester to finish the work for a course in which an incomplete grade was received, though the instructor may stipulate an earlier deadline. For sophomores in the LS Core scheduled to transition out of LS in the following fall semester, any incomplete grade granted by an instructor in a core requirement must be resolved by August 1st. If the coursework is not completed after the designated time for making up incompletes has elapsed, the temporary grade of "I" shall become an "F" and will be computed in the student’s grade point average.

Pass/Fail Option

Applies to both the LS Core and GLS students: Students may elect no more than one pass/fail option each term, including summer sessions, for a cumulative total of no more than 16 credits while they are degree candidates in LS. The pass/fail option is not available for courses completed at other institutions. The pass/fail option is not permitted for any required course.

LS Core students will not be granted approval to take the following requirements pass/fail:

  1. Courses in the LS Core Curriculum (“Writing as Exploration,” “Writing as Critical Inquiry,” “Global Works and Society: Antiquity,” “Global Works and Society in a Changing World,” “Global Works and Society: Modernity,” “Arts and Cultures Across Antiquity,” “Arts and Cultures Towards the Crossroads,” “Arts and Cultures of Modernity”)
  2. Required coursework towards a major and/or minor.
  3. ​Courses under the College Core Curriculum for CAS-bound students or core requirements for other NYU schools.

GLS students will not be granted approval to take the following requirements pass/fail:

  1. Courses in the GLS First-Year Curriculum (“Global Writing Seminar,” “Arts and Cultures Across Antiquity,” “Arts and Cultures Towards the Crossroads,” “Global Works and Society: Antiquity,” “Global Works and Society in a Changing World”).
  2. Approaches
  3. Global Topics
  4. Advanced GLS Elective
  5. Global Cultures
  6. Advanced Global Topics
  7. City as Text
  8. Junior Independent Research Seminar
  9. Senior Seminars
  10. Senior Colloquium and Thesis

The choice to elect pass/fail grading in any course must be made before the completion of the ninth week of the term (or the third week of a six-week summer session); after that time, the grading option cannot be changed. Once elected, the choice of pass/fail grading cannot be changed back to the letter grade option. No grade other than P or F will be recorded for students choosing the pass/fail option. P includes all passing grades (equivalent to D or higher), but is not counted in the grade point average. F is counted in the grade point average.

To request the pass/fail grading option for an elective course not applied toward a major, minor, or other curriculum requirement, students should contact their academic adviser.

Note: LS Core students should understand that in other schools of NYU, the pass/fail option generally is not permitted for any College Core Curriculum courses, for any degree requirements, for courses in the major and the minor, or for required preprofessional courses. Students who change majors may not be able to use courses previously taken under the pass/fail option to satisfy requirements of the new major. Students contemplating the pass/fail option should consult with a LS professional staff adviser about the likely effect of such grades on their academic and career plans.

Study Away Students 

Students must follow the Grade Appeals policy prescribed by the University’s Study Away Policies and Procedures while studying away at a global site.

W Grade

The grade of W (“Withdrawal”) indicates an official withdrawal from a course.


Although the LS administration does not supervise attendance of classes, it supports the standards imposed by instructors. All students are expected to review attendance/participation policies published in the syllabus for each course. Students who, in the judgment of the instructor, have not substantially met the requirements of the course or who have been excessively absent (or recurrently late) may be considered to have withdrawn unofficially and may be given a final grade of F. 

Academic Standing and Progress

The Committee on Academic Progress monitors the academic performance of students and places students on academic warning and academic probation. It also makes recommendations on dismissing students who have not made sufficient progress. Its decisions may be appealed to the Associate Dean of Students.

Students are expected to progress toward the degree and to remain in good standing. Good standing is defined as maintaining a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.

Students whose GPA falls below 2.0 in any semester will be placed on academic probation. Normally, these students will be expected to raise their GPA above 2.0 in the following semester or they will either be placed on terminal probation or dismissed from NYU. Students on terminal probation who do not make academic progress as stipulated in their notice of probation will be dismissed.

Students who receive a notice of academic dismissal after they have registered for the next semester are required to discontinue attendance and will have any registered courses dropped with a full refund of tuition for the upcoming semester.

Students who wish to contest their academic dismissal must appeal, in writing, to the Associate Dean of Students within 20 days of the notification of academic dismissal. After a review of the appeal, a decision will be rendered in writing.

Note: Students receiving federal or state financial aid or other forms of external financial aid are required to make “satisfactory progress.” It is the responsibility of the student to determine what effect any academic action taken against them may have on the student’s financial aid eligibility. Students receiving financial aid should note that the University’s Financial Aid Office defines “satisfactory progress” for full-time students as maintaining a grade point average of 2.0 or better and completing at least three-quarters of all attempted credits.

Such progress is essential for students to remain eligible for student aid. Therefore, while "I" and "W" grades are not computed in a student’s grade point average, they will affect the student’s academic progress (and, potentially, their eligibility for financial aid). Students who have any questions about this can call the Financial Aid Office at 212-998-4444 to determine if their financial aid is at risk.


Leaves of Absence & Term Withdrawals

Students who wish to take a semester off must obtain an official leave of absence from the LS Associate Director of Advising and Student Affairs. Those who do not obtain an official leave of absence may be discontinued, and--depending on the circumstances and number of semesters absent--may be required to apply for readmission. A “leave of absence” can be approved any time before the end of the add/drop period for the semester; after that time, a withdrawal from all courses is classified as a “term withdrawal” by the Registrar. Whether a leave or a term withdrawal, the absence is designated as either health-related or personal, and this designation has implications for housing status, financial aid awards, maintaining student health insurance, study visas (in the case of international students), and the procedures for returning to NYU. In addition, students should be aware that the date of their leave or term withdrawal will determine any eligible refund on bursar charges.

A leave may be requested for one semester or for the entire academic year; official leaves extending beyond an academic year will require an application for readmission. Students considering taking time off should contact the LS Advising Office to learn more or to ask questions about the procedures. Leave of absence and term withdrawal applications and guidelines may also be obtained from, and should be submitted to, the LS Advising Office. 

Students may apply for a health-related leave of absence or term withdrawal at any time a health circumstance intervenes. This will be granted upon the recommendation of a physician or therapist, as well as the NYU Student Health Center or the NYU Wellness Exchange. Program changes may also be requested based on medical conditions, such as individual course withdrawals or reduced course loads, upon approval from LS Advising.

Students who leave for medical or psychological reasons will be required to show appropriate health documentation in order to return, stating that the student is able physically and/or emotionally to resume their studies. In addition, students who take a leave of absence for psychological reasons must be evaluated by the university’s Counseling Services before returning to school.

Standards of Conduct

Student Conduct and Discipline 

All students are expected to abide by the expectations set forth in the University-wide Student Conduct Policy. Allegations of non-academic misconduct against a student of Liberal Studies shall be addressed pursuant to the NYU Student Conduct Procedures, administered by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards under the authority of the Senior Vice President of Student Affairs. If a complaint involves a claim of sexual harassment, sexual violence or sexual assault, Liberal Studies will follow the University’s standard procedures for responding to such incidents as outlined in the NYU Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking Policy.

Allegations of academic misconduct (such as plagiarism, cheating or other academic infractions) shall be addressed by Liberal Studies in accordance with the established procedures set forth in the “Academic Integrity” section of this bulletin.

Study Away Students

By enrolling in an NYU global academic site, a student assumes not only the rights and privileges of membership in a unique community but also the duties of citizenry associated with maintaining the values of the University community as well as those of the country in which the campus is located.  On behalf of, and in conjunction with, its members, the University has a duty to address behavior that jeopardizes the health, safety, or welfare of its members; compromises the academic or intellectual process; disrupts the administrative and supporting services of the University; and/or shows a disrespect for the country and local community in which the center is located.  Students who are alleged to have engaged in behavior that violates the Study Away Standard, New York University policies, and/or specific site policies will be subject to review through the student conduct process at the Academic Center and/or University level as deemed appropriate.

Academic Integrity

Liberal Studies students are expected to adhere to both the academic integrity standards of New York University and those of Liberal Studies. Successful completion of an academic integrity module is required of all incoming first-years, and students are expected to familiarize themselves with the contents of the module, as well as the academic integrity policies of both NYU and Liberal Studies. 

In the process of learning, students acquire ideas from many sources and exchange ideas and opinions with classmates, professors, and others. This occurs in reading, writing, and discussion. Students are expected—often required—to build their own work on that of other people, just as professional researchers and writers do. Giving credit to someone whose work has helped one is courteous and honest. Plagiarism, on the other hand, is a form of fraud. Proper acknowledgment marks the difference.

A hallmark of the educated student is the ability to acknowledge information derived from others. The LS community expects that a student will be scrupulous in crediting those sources that have contributed to the development of his or her ideas. In particular, it is the responsibility of the student to learn the proper forms of citation. Refer to the LS “Academic Integrity Guide,” posted on the Liberal Studies website.

Plagiarism is presenting someone else’s work as though it were one’s own. More specifically, plagiarism is to present as one’s own a sequence of words quoted without quotation marks from another writer, a paraphrased passage from another writer’s work, or facts or ideas gathered, organized, and reported by someone else, orally and/or in writing. Since plagiarism is a matter of fact, not of the student’s intention, it is crucial that acknowledgment of the sources be accurate and complete. Even where there is no conscious intention to deceive, the failure to make appropriate acknowledgment constitutes plagiarism. Penalties for plagiarism range from a failing grade for an assignment or a course to dismissal from the University.

Plagiarism is not, however, the only form of academic dishonesty. Any violation of or attempt to circumvent a course, program, or university academic policy is considered a breach of academic integrity. Examples of behaviors that compromise our intellectual and academic community include, but are not limited to, cheating on an examination; forging academic documents; attempting to gain an unfair advantage over other students on graded work; or facilitating any of these acts on the part of other students. Course materials such as syllabi, assignments, and test questions belong to the instructor and may not be reproduced or shared in any fashion without the instructor’s explicit written permission; to do so without written permission constitutes a punishable breach of academic integrity.

Disciplinary Measures

When an instructor finds that a student has violated the policy on academic integrity, the instructor will impose an appropriate sanction and also file a report with the Academic Affairs Office. Sanctions may range from a reduced or failing grade for the assignment, to a failing grade for the course. The record of the finding will be kept on file.

In the event of a second violation of the policy, the matter will be referred to the Committee on Academic Standards for a hearing. The committee treats all such violations seriously, and its review may result in the imposition of additional sanctions such as academic probation, suspension, or expulsion. Decisions of the committee may be appealed to the Dean of Liberal Studies, who performs a limited review that determines whether the Committee’s decision was made fairly and in keeping with the expecta­tions of Liberal Studies. The deadline for appeals is 14 days from the date of the committee's decision.

For more information, please review the Liberal Studies Academic Integrity Policy & Procedure, available on the Liberal Studies website; and the university’s policy “Academic Integrity for Students at NYU,” available from the NYU website. 

Redress of Grievances

Liberal Studies follows the University-wise school policy for students wishing to report or file a grievance. See Student Grievance Procedure for more information.


A student internship can be defined as "a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting" (National Association of Colleges and Employers). Credit towards the NYU degree, however, is awarded for courses, not for internship placements. Although an internship placement (either paid or unpaid) may be a co-requisite for a course, students receive credit only for academic work that is assessed by an instructor as part of a course—not for the professional development that they receive through their placement or the hours spent at the placement site. In such cases, students are expected to select appropriate placements in collaboration with the course instructor. For advice on this matter, students and faculty should review the Wasserman Center’s Important Considerations Before Accepting a Job or Internship. If interested in requesting credit for an internship experience, students can contact the internship program adviser in the Liberal Studies Advising Center for more information about the proposal and approval procedures, or see Internship Guidelines.

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment Verification provides details on whether a student is/was enrolled full-time, half-time or less than half-time for any semester the student is/was enrolled at NYU. Enrollment certifications are frequently needed to verify eligibility for health insurance coverage, certain types of financial aid, and other services available to individuals enrolled in colleges and universities. They may also be required for some training programs and employment opportunities.

New York University has multiple procedures for obtaining enrollment verification documents. NYU students can obtain verification directly from the University Registrar, while third-party verification should be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse. For more information, see the Office of the Registrar's website.

Please note, an individual who is not an NYU student or alumnus must follow the instructions outlined in the third-party request procedure.

Arrears Policy

The University reserves the right to deny registration and withhold all information regarding the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of tuition, charges, loans, or other charges (including charges for housing, dining, or other activities or services) for as long as any arrears remain.

Diploma Arrears Policy

Diplomas of students in arrears will be held until their financial obligations to the University are fulfilled and they have been cleared by the Bursar. Graduates with a diploma hold may contact the Office of the Bursar at 212-998-2806 to clear arrears or to discuss their financial status at the University.

Student Request Procedure

Students can view/print their own enrollment certification directly from Albert using the integrated National Student Clearinghouse student portal. This feature can be accessed from the “Enrollment Verification” link found on the Grades & Transcripts page on Albert.

Eligible students are also able to view/print a Good Student Discount Certificate, which can be mailed to an auto insurer or any other company that requests proof of status as a good student (based on the cumulative GPA). This feature is available for students in all schools except the School of Law.

For students unable to access NYUHome/Albert, requests for verification of enrollment or graduation may be made by completing the Enrollment/Degree Certification Request Form available on the Registrar’s website. The completed form may be emailed to, faxed to 212-995-4154, or mailed to: Office of the Registrar, P.O. Box 910, New York, NY 10276.

Third-Party Request Procedure

For enrollment or degree verification of a New York University student/alumnus, use the EnrollmentVerify service available from the National Student Clearinghouse. Please note that there is a charge for all services that are provided by the National Student Clearinghouse.

Additional Information