Financial Aid

Undergraduate Aid at NYU

How Financial Aid Works at NYU

NYU recognizes that your education is an investment for both you and your family and the Office of Financial Aid is here to help guide you through the application process.

It’s important to apply on time to be considered for as much aid as possible. Also, the amount of aid a student receives their first year is often the amount they will receive in following years. Filing late can affect eligibility in the future.

To get you started, here are three key categories of aid to be aware of and the name of the application that applies to each.

  • Institutional. Non-government funds, such as need-based scholarships from NYU. (CSS Profile)
  • Federal. Funds provided through the U.S. government. They can be scholarships you don’t have to pay back or loans that typically have lower interest rates than private loans. (FAFSA)
  • New York State. For residents of New York State, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program offers funding. (TAP)

If you’re accepted to NYU, you will receive a letter about your financial aid package that explains the types and amounts of aid for which you're eligible.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

What you’ll need to submit and when depends on a few factors, such as your decision type (e.g. early), the school you’re applying to, and if you live in the United States or another country.

Step-by-step guidance and deadlines:

Scholarships, Grants, and Loans

Learn more about the types of financial aid that may be available to you:

A Glossary of Financial Aid Terms

Here’s a glossary of common financial aid terms you’ll come across as you explore your options.

Graduate Aid

How Financial Aid Works

As a graduate student at New York University, your financial aid information will come primarily from the school you’re attending.

You should check with your program or school directly about deadlines for university scholarship consideration and other financial aid specific to the program to which you are applying. Below is general information to get you started.

Types of Aid

In addition to any scholarships or university aid you might qualify through your program, you should fill out a FAFSA every academic year to find out if you qualify for federal assistance. The FAFSA is available to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens. The suggested filing date for the FAFSA is May 1, though some schools may have specific deadlines for scholarship consideration.

Assistance will most likely come in the form of unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans. You may also qualify for Federal Work Study.

You may also apply for private loans, though we recommend exploring all types of university and federal assistance first.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate students can apply for an assistantship or teaching fellowship in some schools. An assistantship or teaching fellowship provides tuition remission and a stipend.

As an assistant or fellow, you will be asked to teach, engage in research, and take part in other activities related to departmental needs. If you’re interested in pursuing a fellowship or assistantship, you should get in touch with your department directly for information.

Assistantships and teaching fellowships can affect your eligibility for some types of financial aid. Contact the Office of Financial Aid, as well as your department, if your financial aid package does not indicate your assistantship.