Academic Policies for Tandon Graduate Students

Office of Graduate Academics

This page details the general school-wide degree requirements that apply to all NYU Tandon School of Engineering graduate degrees. Academic departments may place additional requirements on individual degrees. Such additional requirements are explained in the programs section of this catalog. In no case may a department specify requirements less stringent than those indicated here.

Degrees and Advanced Certificates

Graduate Advanced Certificate Programs

NYU Tandon School of Engineering offers several graduate advanced certificate programs in specialized subject areas for students who do not wish to enroll in a full-degree program. Depending on the program, 12 to 15 credits must be taken at NYU Tandon School of Engineering to earn a certificate. No transfer credits for certificates are permitted. Courses taken for a certificate may be applied toward the future pursuit of a Master or Science (MS) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) graduate degree, but not to another certificate program. Students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in all graduate courses taken at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering to receive a certificate. Students in a certificate who subsequently decide to pursue a graduate degree must file a separate application for admission to the respective graduate program. 

Master of Science

Candidates for the degree of Master of Science must complete no fewer than 30 credits of graduate courses and research beyond the bachelor’s degree in the program selected. Academic departments may require additional credits for individual degrees. Individual programs may specify required courses, minimum GPAs in specific courses or course groups, or require a comprehensive examination, presentation of a seminar, or completion of a project or thesis. Specific course requirements for each MS program are detailed in the programs section of the bulletin. To obtain the MS degree, students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (equivalent to a B letter grade) or better in all graduate work undertaken at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering and any other school of NYU, including courses not used to fulfill specific program requirements. The average of B or better includes all guided studies, readings, projects, theses and dissertations. Students may use no more than a total of 3 credits of internship towards fulfillment of MS degree requirements. Students may offer no more than a combined total of 9 credits of project, guided studies, readings, or thesis toward fulfillment of the MS degree requirements. Students taking project or thesis must register for at least 3 credits of project or thesis every semester until the work is completed and a grade recorded. (See also section on Maintenance of Studies.)

MS students may elect to complete an MS project or MS thesis and may be required to do so in certain programs. Consult the programs section in the bulletin for details. A project usually entails 3 to 6 credits, while an MS thesis is generally a more extended piece of research, usually entailing 6 to 9 credits.  At this level, research should exhibit a thorough understanding of advanced scientific thought and an ability to apply advanced principles constructively to engineering planning and design.

MS Thesis Manuscript Presentation and Publication

Degree candidates must present their research to the appointed guidance committee (if required) in final manuscript form for official acceptance no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. The accepted format for the research document is detailed in the Master’s Thesis and Project Report Guidelines found on the Graduate Student Forms website.

Graduate students registered for MS thesis credits must submit the final thesis to their department for required signatures of the thesis adviser, committee members (if required), and department chair; and then upload it to University Microfilms International (UMI) Proquest before the end of the semester. MS theses are published by UMI Dissertations and Theses Publishing (ProQuest). The cost of this service is free to the student. Publishing with UMI ensures that the thesis gains the widest possible audience. Any interested persons may purchase copies of a thesis through the company’s website.

Continuation of Studies Beyond the Initial Certificate or Master of Science

Students planning to pursue additional studies immediately following the award of an advanced degree by NYU Tandon School of Engineering must complete a new application for admission and submit it to the Graduate Admissions Office for review and approval by the department in which the new degree will be pursued. Examples are: 1) progressing from a certificate program to an MS program; 2) progressing from an MS program to a PhD program; 3) seeking a second MS degree from NYU Tandon School of Engineering. For rules governing the application of prior NYU Tandon School of Engineering credits towards a new degree program, please refer to the section on Transfer Credits and Transfer Policy Exceptions.

Doctor of Philosophy

All doctoral candidates must complete a minimum of 75 credits of graduate work beyond the bachelor’s degree, including a minimum of 21 credits of dissertation research (or more, depending on the program). Requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy are qualitative and quantitative. Students will find that the formal requirements of residence, course credits, and dissertation provide a framework within which they are free to construct individual programs for creative learning at an advanced level. Students must satisfy the detailed requirements of the selected degree program.

Each PhD student must complete a PhD dissertation. Research at this level must demonstrate critical and constructive thought, as well as the ability to use the techniques necessary to explore and develop new knowledge in mathematics, science, or engineering. A successful dissertation must demonstrably advance the subject area of research. All research should be characterized by accuracy of observation and measurement, and by clarity and completeness in presentation. The conclusions presented must be supported by adequate studies and investigations and supplemented by a complete bibliography.

Graduate students in a PhD program should confer with an adviser in the department of major interest regarding: 1) selection of courses; 2) major and minor fields of study; 3) formulation of a guidance committee; 4) qualifying and language examinations; 5) degree candidacy.

Students in a PhD program must take and pass doctoral qualifying examination(s) administered by their academic department. These examinations are generally scheduled once or twice yearly, and students should consult their academic department for further information. Students may not register for dissertation research until they have passed the examination(s). Students are encouraged to take the examination(s) in their first year. If students have not passed by the beginning of their third year, they may be disqualified from the PhD program. Within six months of passing the qualifying examination(s), students and their dissertation adviser must form a dissertation-guidance committee that will oversee course selection, provide research guidance, and ensure that satisfactory progress is being made toward completion of the dissertation in a timely manner. Course selection must ensure that requirements set forth by the respective programs are met. The committee, at its discretion or bound by departmental regulations, may require students to present a dissertation research proposal. The committee is expected to meet at least once per semester to assess student progress, and doctoral students must defend their dissertation in front of this committee. Doctoral students must obtain a checklist of the milestones and requirements for the PhD program from the Office of Graduate Academics.

All doctoral students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better at all times and a B or better for the dissertation, and some departments have further specific course or grade requirements that must be fulfilled. Once students begin their dissertation research, they must register for at least 3 credits of dissertation every semester until the dissertation is completed and successfully defended (also refer to the section on Maintenance of Studies).

PhD Dissertation Manuscript Presentation and Publication

Degree candidates must present their research to the appointed guidance committee in final manuscript form for official acceptance no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. The accepted format for the research document is detailed in the PhD Dissertation Guidelines found on the Graduate Student Forms website.

Doctoral students must submit the final dissertation to their department for required signatures of the dissertation adviser, committee members, and department chair; and then upload it to University Microfilms International (UMI) Proquest before the end of the semester. Doctoral dissertations are published by UMI Dissertation Publishing (ProQuest). The cost of this service is free to the student. Publishing with UMI ensures that the dissertation gains the widest possible audience. Any interested persons may purchase copies of a dissertation through the company’s website.

The faculty regards publication of the major content of a doctoral dissertation in a recognized scientific journal as a necessary final step, if the work performed is to achieve maximum usefulness. The publication must indicate, by footnote or otherwise, its basis as a NYU Tandon School of Engineering dissertation.

Graduation Application

A degree is awarded when two conditions are met: 1) The student has completed all program requirements; and 2) The student has applied for graduation.  The date of the degree follows the application date for its award, not the date when all requirements were completed. If the graduation application is filed more than two years after completion of degree requirements, the approval process is not automatic, and additional administrative actions may be required on a case-by-case basis. 

Tandon students may not purposefully delay completion of degree requirements. International students will not be granted an I-20 extension in cases where graduation is delayed due to academic difficulty, or in cases where a student has taken inappropriate courses for their degree requirements. Students who do not apply for graduation in the semester when all degree requirements are met may have an application submitted on their behalf by Tandon administration. 


Diplomas are mailed to the student about eight weeks after the degree conferral date. Diplomas are issued only once, subject to rare exceptions made on a case-by-case basis. Replacement diploma procedures and charges are published on the University Registrar’s website. Replacement diplomas for the NYU Tandon School of Engineering will be printed with the school's name at the time of the student’s graduation.

Modifications to Curricula

Curricula and courses change from time to time in order to keep students abreast of the latest knowledge and methods within subject areas. Students are required to satisfy the curriculum and degree requirements in effect at the time of their matriculation and must obtain current degree requirements from their program adviser. In order to accommodate curriculum and course revisions, it is sometimes necessary to substitute a course for one specified in the curriculum. Students may also request course substitutions to tailor their studies to their interests. Both the program adviser and the Office of Graduate Academics must approve all course substitutions.

Transfer Credits and Residency

Transfer Credits

Applications for transfer credits must be submitted for consideration before the end of the first semester of matriculation. Courses with grades below B are not eligible for transfer. Transfer credits for courses taken after matriculation at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering are rarely accepted and must be approved by the student’s academic department and by the Office of Graduate Academics before the course is taken. Grades for transferred credits or courses are not recorded and are not included in GPA calculations.

Advanced Certificates

No transfer credits are permitted for advanced certificates.

Master of Science

A maximum of 9 credits may be accepted as transfer credits towards an MS degree. Transfer credits must be approved by the student’s department, the Vice Dean for Graduate Academics, and the Office of the Registrar. Courses that have been counted towards an awarded undergraduate or graduate degree, whether taken at NYU or another institution, may not be transferred toward a master’s degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Credits submitted for consideration must be: 1) from accredited institutions; 2) consistent with NYU Tandon School of Engineering’s residency requirements; 3) completed with grades B or better; 4) consistent with the curriculum in which the student is registered; 5) taken after receipt of a bachelor’s degree, with the exception of NYU undergraduate students (See section: Transfer Policy Exceptions). Theses, projects and guided studies or readings courses cannot be transferred.

Doctor of Philosophy

External Credits

A maximum of 48 credits may be transferred from an external institution or school to a PhD degree. Departments may choose to do a blanket credit transfer, individual course transfer, or a combination. For a blanket transfer of a prior MS degree – transferring a number of credits in toto instead of individual courses - the most common number of transfer credits is 30. However, blanket credit transfers can never exceed the actual number of credits earned in a prior MS or the number of credits in an equivalent Tandon MS degree. Departments may also choose to transfer courses individually from a graduate degree, whether or not the graduate degree was completed and awarded. This might be advisable in a case where the prior MS is not suitable for a blanket transfer, but does include some relevant coursework. Individually transferred courses cannot include credits earned from independent study courses including projects, guided studies, guided readings, a thesis, or a dissertation. A grade of B or better is required for a course to be eligible for individual transfer. Departments may also do both a blanket credit transfer and an individual course transfer for courses not included in the blanket transfer, up to a maximum of 48 credits. No method of transfer credit can be used to circumvent the policy on the maximum number of credits that can be awarded for a prior MS degree (e.g., if the student’s external MS was worth 36 credits and the Tandon equivalent MS is only 30 credits, departments may not do a blanket 30-credit transfer and then individually transfer the remaining 6 credits from the 36-credit MS, and they may not individually transfer all 36 credits).

Internal Credits

If a student earned an MS at any NYU school, their GPA will be restarted when the student begins their PhD program at Tandon. Departments who wish to count an NYU MS towards the PhD would need to submit a transfer credit request to award a blanket transfer and/or the transfer of individual courses towards the PhD. The NYU MS credits will show on the student’s transcript the same as credits transferred from an outside institution. For residency purposes, credits from a Tandon MS degree are considered in residence even though they will show on the transcript as transfer credits. As well, Tandon MS credits do not count against the maximum 48 transfer credit limit.

Some programs have additional restrictions; students should also consult the program specific portion of the bulletin for further information.

Transfer Policy Exceptions

NYU Undergraduate Students

While transfer policies normally preclude the transfer of graduate credit taken prior to the receipt of a bachelor’s degree, an exception is made for NYU students who take graduate courses while pursuing an undergraduate degree at any school of NYU. Such graduate courses may be applied subsequently to a graduate degree at NYU Tandon provided that students earned a B grade or better, that the individual courses were not used to fulfill requirements for the undergraduate degree, and that the courses are acceptable based on the particular graduate degree curriculum requirement.

The sum of transfer credits from other institutions and internal transfer credits from other NYU schools (including graduate courses taken while matriculated as NYU undergraduates) cannot exceed the total number of transfer credits permitted for Advanced Certificates, MS, and PhD degrees as specified above.

These exceptions to the Transfer Policy are effective for any student admitted for the Spring 2017 semester and onward.

NYU Tandon School of Engineering BS/MS Students

NYU Tandon School of Engineering students enrolled in a joint BS/MS program with a study plan pre-approved by an academic adviser, may take graduate level courses prior to receiving their bachelor’s degree. All graduate courses will by default count towards the MS degree. Permission is required from the Vice Dean for Academics, if a BS/MS student wants to use a graduate course towards their BS requirements. Any graduate course used to satisfy BS degree requirements cannot be used to satisfy MS degree requirements. BS/MS students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in all graduate level courses, or they risk being disqualified from the BS/MS program.

Period of Transfer Credit Validity

Graduate courses reflect the current state of the art in their respective fields. Thus, all courses that are more than 10 years old at the beginning of graduate study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering, whether taken previously at Tandon or at another institution, are ineligible for transfer and will not count towards the satisfaction of degree requirements. The blanket 30-credit transfer of an MS degree taken at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering or elsewhere towards a PhD program is exempt from this period of validity and does not expire.

Transfer Credit Validation Examination

When it is unclear whether a course taken outside the NYU Tandon School of Engineering is suitable for transfer credit, students may qualify for transfer credit for that course by passing a validation examination. Permission to take the examination must be recorded in advance on the student’s transfer-evaluation form. The examination format is at the discretion of the department giving the course. Scheduling of the examination is by mutual agreement, but in no event can it be scheduled more than one calendar year after the student begins study at NYU Tandon School of Engineering. A grade of B or better is required for graduate students. An examination may not be taken more than once. A student who registers for or attends the course at NYU Tandon School of Engineering forfeits the right to take a validation examination.

The sum of validation credits and transfer credits is limited to 9 credits for MS degrees.

One exception to the paragraphs above regarding transfer credit and the validation examination: Mathematics graduate students (MS and PhD) will be permitted, with adviser approval, to exceed the 9-credit limit on transfer credits and validation examination units by taking specified, adviser-approved courses at the Courant Institute of NYU. In the case of MS students, such approval may not raise the number of such courses above four.

Residency Requirement

To satisfy residency requirements for a graduate degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering, students must complete the following minimum number of credits at Tandon:

  • Graduate Certificate: All credits (12-15, depending on certificate)
  • Master of Science: Total number of credits required minus 9, (at least 21 credits of residency)
  • Doctor of Philosophy: 27 credits, including all dissertation credits
  • Once matriculated into any Tandon degree, graduate students may not count any credits taken at the NYU School of Professional Studies towards fulfilling Tandon degree requirements.

Time Limits

Advanced Certificate Students

Advanced certificate programs must be completed within 3 years from the time of admission to graduate studies at Tandon.

MS Students

MS degree programs must be completed within 5 years from the beginning of graduate studies at Tandon.

PhD Students Admitted Prior to Spring 2019

PhD programs must be completed within 6 years for full-time students and 12 years for part-time students, counting from the time of admission to graduate studies at Tandon (not from the beginning of PhD studies).

PhD Students Admitted as of Spring 2019

Full-time PhD students transferring in 24 or more credits are granted 6 years to complete their PhD studies, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program at NYU Tandon. Full-time students transferring fewer than 24 credits have 7 years to complete the PhD program, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program. Part-time PhD students must complete all requirements for the PhD within 9 years, counting from the time of admission into the PhD program.

Extensions of these time periods are rarely granted and require prior approval from the Vice Dean for Academics. Students must request an extension at least 30 days prior to the deadline for completion. If an extension is granted, not all courses taken previously may count towards the degree. The Vice Dean, consulting with the department, will prepare a plan for the student to follow to obtain the degree.

Graduate Registration Policies

All graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 1.5 credits each fall and spring semester until they graduate. However, if students begin an MS project or thesis, or a PhD dissertation, they must register for at least 3 credits of project, thesis, or dissertation every fall and spring semester until it has been completed and accepted. Thus, while students who have not previously enrolled in research credits may satisfy registration requirements and maintain their student status by registering for 1.5 credits, students who have begun a project, thesis, or dissertation in a previous semester and who have not yet completed it must register for a minimum of 3 credits (of research) each fall and spring until complete. (Also refer to the section on Maintenance of Studies.)

Graduate Registration Status

Tandon graduate student registration status is defined as follows:

  • Full-time MS students must be registered for 9 credits or more each semester. Students who are normally full-time may register for fewer credits during their last semester by registering for only the number of credits necessary for graduation. During this last semester they are part-time, but can be treated as full-time-equivalent for immigration purposes only (not for the purpose of financial aid eligibility) by requesting full-time-equivalency status from the Office of Global Services (OGS).
  • Part-time MS students enroll in less than 9 credits per term.
  • Prior to passing the qualifying exam, full-time PhD students must register for a minimum of 9 credits per term. Upon passing the qualifying exam, students may maintain full-time status by registering for a minimum of 3 credits of dissertation per semester.  Students who are not officially enrolled in a PhD program, irrespective of whether or not they have passed the qualifying exam, must continue to take a minimum of 9 credits per semester until they are formally admitted to a PhD program.

A status of non-matriculated or visiting student allows students to take up to three graduate courses at NYU Tandon School of Engineering (maximum of 2 courses or 6 credits per semester) without formally applying for admission to a graduate program. If these students desire to continue at NYU Tandon School of Engineering as matriculated students in a graduate degree or certificate program, they must follow the formal application process, and admission is not guaranteed.

Maintenance of Studies

MS Students: Upon completing the number of MS thesis or MS project (thesis/project) credits required by their department, students may enroll in Maintenance of Studies (MOS) for one semester in lieu of enrolling in more thesis/project credits. If the remaining work is not completed after one semester of MOS, students must resume enrollment in thesis/project credits in the following term and all subsequent terms until the thesis/project is complete. Additional thesis/project credits taken after MOS will not be calculated in the student's GPA nor count towards degree requirements. Once students elect to enroll in thesis/project, they must continue to enroll in research credits or MOS every semester until completion, even if they are taking other courses that will maintain their student status in the same semester. However, summer enrollment in thesis/project or MOS is only required if students plan to graduate in the summer term.

PhD Students: Upon completing 75 credits towards the PhD and all required dissertation credits, PhD students may continuously enroll in MOS every semester until all remaining work for their dissertation is complete. Summer enrollment in dissertation credits or MOS is only required if students plan to graduate in the summer term.

50% In-Person Enrollment Requirement

With the exception of those graduate degrees and certificates specifically designated as online offerings, Tandon’s graduate programs are registered with the New York State Education Department (NYSED) as in-person programs. Therefore, a minimum of 50% of a student’s courses must be taken in-person (on campus) in order for the degree to be conferred.


The following four programs are exempt from the 50% in-person course requirement:

  1. MS Bioinformatics
  2. MS Cybersecurity
  3. MS Emerging Technologies
  4. MS Management of Technology

These four programs are registered as both online and in-person; therefore, there is no minimum credit requirement for in-person participation.

Continuous Enrollment

All students are required to be continuously enrolled each fall and spring semester until graduation. Students that do not enroll for a term and do not formally file for Leave of Absence in the NYU Albert Student Center are automatically discontinued. Students discontinued due to non-enrollment must apply for readmission. If readmission is granted, students will be governed by the bulletin and rules effective at the time of readmission and the terms and conditions of the readmission. (See section on Readmission.)

Registration Requirements for International Students

To maintain non-immigrant student status, international students must maintain full-time enrollment every fall and spring semester for the entire semester (i.e., withdrawing from a course during the semester may jeopardize full-time status). Students are not required to enroll during the summer semester and may enroll for credits at their discretion. International students may register for online courses, but generally must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits of on-ground course work per term. All questions concerning this regulation should be addressed with the Office of Global Services (OGS). Students may take less than a full course of study if fewer credits are needed during the last semester prior to graduation, but they must notify OGS prior to the beginning of the semester and obtain approval for a reduced course load (RCL). Students may also qualify for RCL for valid academic and medical reasons. All exceptions must be approved by OGS, preferably before the last day of registration (the add/drop deadline) each semester so that courses can be added to the student’s schedule if the request is not approved. Additionally, one semester of RCL for academic reasons is permitted per degree level. See OGS for details.

Students in F-1 and J-1 status must obtain written permission from OGS for any Leave of Absence request, or to withdraw from classes if the withdrawal results in less than a full course load. They also must obtain written permission and the pertinent I-20/DS-2019 form before enrolling in a new degree program. The process of withdrawing from a course, changing programs, changing degree level, or taking a Leave of Absence through the Office of the Registrar keeps a non-immigrant student in good standing only with Tandon, but not with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), unless proper approval is obtained from OGS. Students planning on employment as part of their course work must obtain prior approval from OGS for any such employment.

Failure to comply with the immigration requirements for full-time status, course withdrawals, program changes, degree level changes, or Leave of Absence violates the non-immigrant student’s status and renders a student ineligible for any benefit of that status. According to DHS, lack of compliance may also result in deportation.

Grading Policies

For the purposes of computing GPAs for graduate students and graduate courses, the following scale is used:

Grade Point Value Description
A 4.000 Excellent
A- 3.667 Excellent
B+ 3.333 Good
B 3.000 Good
B- 2.667 Deficient, but Passing
C+ 2.333 Deficient, but Passing
C 2.000 Deficient, but Passing
F 0.000 Failing
P Pass (no GPA vaule)
S Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
W Withdrawal
I Incomplete (converts to F after 180 days)
AUD Audit

Grades S and U reflect progress on research efforts. Once the thesis or dissertation is completed, the letter grade is entered on the transcript for all research registrations. Noncredit seminar courses are graded P or F. Other than research credits, no credit-bearing courses can be assigned S or U grades. A student cannot graduate if a grade of U is on the transcript for any credit-bearing course or for research efforts at the time of graduation. A grade of Incomplete cannot be assigned to MS thesis, MS project, or PhD dissertation courses. These courses are continuing research courses, and must be assigned either Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U) grades until the project, thesis, or dissertation is completed. Upon completion, all prior and current registration for these courses should be assigned the same, regular letter grade. Grades S, U, I, W and AUD are not included in computing the GPA.

Incomplete Grades 

If a student has not been academically engaged (attending classes and submitting assignments) for a significant portion of the current semester, an Incomplete grade is not appropriate and should not be assigned. Incomplete grades are typically reserved for students who experience an emergency issue, medical or personal, that prevents them from completing the last few weeks of class. In such cases, the professor should speak with the Office of Student Advocacy and the Office of Graduate Academics to discuss appropriate options. If an Incomplete grade is deemed appropriate by all parties, the instructor and the student must develop a detailed plan for completion that includes a specific submission date of all outstanding work. This date should typically not extend past the beginning of the next semester to ensure that students continue to make satisfactory academic progress, as this can impact probationary status, immigration status, and timely completion of degree requirements. An Incomplete grade converts to an F if the student fails to complete the work within the specified completion timeline, or by 180 days (maximum) after the end of the semester in which the student was enrolled in the course.  Please note that the resolution of Incomplete grades should not typically extend to the full 180 days, as this is the maximum allowed, and should only be permitted in rare circumstances/occasions. All Incomplete grades must be converted before graduation.

The issuance of a grade of Incomplete should be rare, and should not be assigned to students who have planned poorly or overloaded themselves academically. If the resolution of an Incomplete grade would require a student to participate in the course or any part of the course a second time, even if they do not officially register, then an Incomplete should not be given. Per NYU policy, students are not permitted to attend a class in which they are not officially registered. In such cases, the student should instead be counseled to withdraw from the course and speak with their academic adviser about next steps. If the student re-registers for a course in which an Incomplete grade was given, the Incomplete grade will be administratively converted to an F. 


Course Withdrawal: The W Grade

Students may drop a course, or courses, without academic penalty until the add/drop deadline of the semester, as published on the academic calendar. After the add/drop period ends, students may elect to withdraw from a course, or courses, until the published withdrawal deadline. Withdrawals differ from drops in that withdrawn courses are awarded a grade of W on students’ transcripts, and students may be financially liable for tuition for the course, or courses, withdrawn. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisers before withdrawing, as withdrawing from certain courses may delay their planned graduation date. International students should make sure that they do not drop or withdraw below full-time status (9 credits). Students who have been placed on final academic probation are not permitted to withdraw from courses without prior approval from their academic adviser and the Office of Graduate Academics.

When the course duration varies from the norm, such as in 6-, 9- or 12-week courses, please see the NYU Tandon School Calendar for deadline information. Withdrawn courses remain on students' transcripts with a grade of W and are not calculated into the GPA. Once entered on students’ records, a W cannot be changed to any other grade. An F grade is recorded for any student who ceases to attend a course without formally withdrawing by the required deadline.

International students who wish to withdraw from a course, or courses, must have prior approval from OGS if withdrawing will leave them with fewer than 9 credits of registration.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Graduate students who wish to withdraw completely from NYU Tandon School of Engineering (as opposed to a term withdrawal) must first withdraw from all courses in which they are currently registered, and then they must complete the online total withdrawal form. To receive W grades for the semester, the withdrawal must be completed by the withdrawal deadline indicated in the academic calendar. The mere absence from courses does not constitute official withdrawal, but results in F grades recorded for courses not completed. No complete withdrawal is official unless and until this form is completed and submitted to the NYU Tandon School of Engineering Office of Records and Registration and approved by all required signatories. Students who submit an online total withdrawal request which is approved must reapply to NYU Tandon School of Engineering should they wish to resume their studies in the future, and readmission is not guaranteed.

Involuntary Withdrawal

NYU Tandon School of Engineering is concerned about the health, safety and well-being of its students. Students judged to be a threat to themselves or to others may be withdrawn involuntarily from Tandon. Tandon seeks, whenever possible, for such students to be allowed to continue as active students if they agree to undergo professional care. Full details concerning this policy are available from the Office of Student Advocacy.


Tandon does not permit graduate students to elect to take a course on a pass/fail basis. Only those courses where pass/fail is the standard grading scheme, such as CP-GY 9911, are permitted.  Students may not take a course outside of Tandon if it’s only offered as pass/fail, without receiving prior approval from their academic adviser, program director, or department chair.

Grade Appeal Process

Grades on file with the Registrar, with the exception of Incomplete/I grades and temporary grades (S or U), are considered final unless an error in calculating or recording the grade is discovered, or if it is determined that the student was graded unfairly due to personal prejudice. No correctly reported final grade may be changed based upon re-taking an examination or completion or submission of work beyond the last day of the term.

Final grades may be appealed only under the following circumstances:

a) If there has been an error on the instructor’s part in calculating or recording a grade; or b) If the student believes that the instructor graded unfairly due to personal prejudice. The instructor’s judgment of the quality of a student’s submitted work may not be appealed.

If a student believes they have received an inappropriate grade, based on the criteria enumerated above, they may appeal in writing to the instructor for a grade change. The deadline for appealing a grade to the course instructor is the add/drop deadline of the semester following the semester in which the grade was given. The instructor will consider the appeal and respond to the student in writing, stating their reasons for their decision and copying the department chair. If the instructor agrees with the appeal and decides to change the original grade, they must submit a grade change in Albert. The grade change will need to be approved online by the department chair and the Vice Dean for Academics.

A student may appeal an instructor’s decision in writing to their department chair, using the same criteria enumerated above.  The chair may not substitute their own judgment of the quality of a student’s work for that of the instructor’s. The chair will review the submitted evidence, consult with the instructor, and render a decision in writing, stating their reasons for their decision and copying both the student and the instructor.

The student or instructor may appeal the chair’s decision in writing to the Student Affairs Committee, a standing committee of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.  The only possible basis of such an appeal are that the department chair did not review the submitted evidence, did not consult with the instructor, did not render a decision in writing, or there is evidence of personal prejudice on the part of the chair. The Committee will review the submitted evidence and render a final, written decision in the matter. There is no appeal of a decision rendered by the Student Affairs Committee.

Change of Grade

Grades on file with the Registrar, with the exception of Incomplete/I grades and temporary grades (S or U), are considered final unless an error in calculating or recording the grade is discovered. No correctly reported final grade may be changed based upon re-taking an examination or the submission of any work beyond the last day of class. Extra credit opportunities, when offered, must be made available to the entire class, must be assigned and submitted before the last day of class, and graded prior to the submission of final grades. Incomplete/I grades are handled according to the policies described under Incomplete Grades. Temporary grades (S or U), used for continuing projects, thesis or dissertation, will be converted to standard letter grades upon completion of the project, thesis or dissertation. Once recorded with the Registrar, these grades are treated as all other final grades. If an error in calculating or reporting a grade is discovered, the instructor will submit the change of grade request to the department chair. If approved by the department chair, the request will be submitted to the Vice Dean for Academics for consideration. Any incorrectly assigned grade must be corrected within one semester.

Preparatory Courses

Some programs offer preparatory courses to accommodate the needs of students who lack certain undergraduate preparation. Generally, preparatory courses cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements, particularly for degrees within the department that offers the course. However, these courses, if graduate courses, are included in the calculation of a student’s graduate GPA. Some graduate students may be required to take certain undergraduate courses as preparation for advanced graduate study. Undergraduate courses are not included in the student’s GPA calculation.

Repeating Courses

The first time a graduate student repeats a course, the lower grade is not counted towards the GPA. All subsequent grades in a course repeated more than once are included in the GPA, although degree credit is earned only once.

Auditing Courses

Graduate students may audit courses instead of receiving credits and grades for them. Regular tuition is charged, and courses are treated as part of a full-time load. An AUD notation is made on the student’s permanent record. Interested graduate students should see their advisers and must notify the NYU Tandon School of Engineering Office of Records and Registration within the first two weeks of the semester if they select courses for audit status. Under no circumstances may an audit status be changed to credit status once elected. Audited courses do not count toward satisfying graduation requirements.

GPA Restart

If a student who has completed a master’s degree at any school of NYU wishes to pursue another master’s degree at NYU Tandon, the student’s GPA is restarted. In this way, the academic performance for each degree is accurately represented. The GPA is also restarted between a prior graduate program and the beginning of PhD degree program, but only once. Students changing from one PhD program to another will not receive a GPA restart, if the first program was not completed.

Academic Standing and Leave of Absence

Graduate students are expected to progress in their studies and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at all times. Failure to do so results in the student being placed on academic probation. Graduate students are permitted a maximum of 2 semesters of academic probation, and these semesters need not be sequential in order to count towards the maximum limit.

Student academic progress is evaluated at the end of the spring and fall semesters (and at the end of the summer for summer admits only), irrespective of Incomplete or temporary (S/U) grades, and irrespective of whether students have dropped or withdrawn from any course(s). Any student whose GPA drops below 3.0 will be placed on probation and notified by the Office of Graduate Academics.

Students on probation must submit a signed First Probation or Final Probation form to the Office of Graduate Academics before the start of the next semester. Students who are not yet registered for the following term will not be permitted to do so until their form has been submitted to the Office of Graduate Academics. Students already registered will be de-registered from their courses if they do not submit their form. No indication of academic probation appears on a student’s transcript, but a record is kept on file. Academic disqualification, however, is noted on the student’s transcript.

Students on Final Probation must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above at the end of the semester, or the student will be disqualified from Tandon. Disqualified students will not be considered for readmission. If a student is disqualified, any grade of Incomplete, S, or U at the time of disqualification will remain as such on the student’s transcript.

In addition to the academic probation process described above, a major department may request that a graduate student be placed on academic probation at any time. The request and its justification are signed by the department chair and sent to the Office of Graduate Academics for approval.

The probationary policies outlined above differ from the policies governing conditionally admitted students; please refer to the Conditional Admission section on Conditional Admit status for more information or address specific questions to the Office of Graduate Academics.

Conditional Admission

At the discretion of NYU Tandon faculty, applicants to a graduate program may be conditionally admitted with a requirement to maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA in the first six (6) or more attempted credits to avoid academic disqualification. Additionally, at the discretion of NYU Tandon faculty, applicants to a graduate program may be conditionally admitted with a requirement to complete certain prerequisite courses in addition to the academic requirements stated for the graduate program to which admission is offered. Conditionally admitted students are not entitled to a period of academic probation, but instead will be academically disqualified if they fail to meet the requirements of their conditional admission at any point.

Leaves of Absence and Readmission

Leave of Absence

A student who wishes to temporarily suspend graduate studies may request a Leave of Absence. If a Leave of Absence is being requested for medical reasons (Medical Leave of Absence), please consult with the Office of Student Advocacy.  A request for a Leave of Absence for any reason other than medical must be approved by the Office of Graduate Academics.  If the leave is approved, the student’s matriculated status is maintained, and the student may resume his or her studies after the Leave of Absence. The Registrar will record a Leave of Absence on the student’s transcript.

If approved, a Leave of Absence may be granted for a maximum of two semesters or one academic year per degree level. More time may be granted in extreme cases, such as compulsory national service, if such service requires a longer absence than one academic year. International students must also receive approval from the Office of Global Services (OGS), which assists international students with immigration related matters. An approved Leave of Absence is an academic decision and does not override immigration regulations. For students admitted prior to Spring 2019, a Leave of Absence does not extend the time limit for earning a degree. For students admitted as of Spring 2019, a Leave of Absence does not count against the program's time limit, and the time limit will be extended by the number of semesters granted for Leave of Absence. (See section on Time Limits.) The approval of a Leave of Absence does not prevent subsequent academic disqualification. Students who have been academically disqualified will not be approved for a Leave of Absence. Students who are approved for a post-disqualification term, may only be granted a Leave of Absence with the approval of the Graduate Appeals Committee. 


Students who do not maintain continuous registration and who are not on an approved Leave of Absence must apply to NYU for readmission if they wish to continue their graduate studies. If readmitted, their subsequent program attendance will be guided by the terms and conditions of the readmission and by the Bulletin and rules in effect at the time of readmission. Lapsed semesters do not extend the maximum time permitted to complete the degree. If students who re-apply cannot complete their studies within the allotted time permitted from the date of their initial admission to NYU Tandon School of Engineering, they can be re-admitted as a new student, but prior courses will be treated as part of the total transfer credits permitted (see section on Transfer Credits).

Leave of Absence and Readmission for Veterans

Students in graduate programs taking a Leave of Absence to perform military services are reinstated into the same degree program with the same academic status that they had when last in attendance at the institution. The length of absence from the institution cannot exceed five academic years unless the student requests and receives an exception from the Office of Graduate Academics. Such requests when approved by the Office of Graduate Academics constitute assurance of reinstatement to the degree program from which the leave was taken. If the period of absence exceeds the approved leave, students must apply for readmission.


Graduate internships provide an opportunity for students to pursue practical work experience in their field of study, to enhance and augment classroom learning, while also enhancing their overall educational experience.

Eligibility and Requirements: Students

F-1 international students are required to complete at least two semesters of full-time study in the United States (U.S.) to be eligible for internship authorization. This may include time spent studying at another U.S. institution, including completion of a bachelor’s degree immediately prior to studying at NYU. Please contact the Office of Global Services for details on F-1 internship eligibility.

All graduate students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0, as reflected on their academic transcript. Students cannot enroll in internship courses if they have an incomplete grade (I) in any course from a prior semester. Students cannot enroll in a subsequent internship course if they have an incomplete or a fail grade (F) from a previous internship course. Students cannot be approved for an internship via thesis, dissertation, or any other course, if they have received a Time Extension for their current degree program. MS students may use no more than 3 credits of internship toward fulfillment of MS degree requirements.

Eligibility and Requirements: Work Experiences

During the academic year, work experiences must be at least 12 weeks long. During the summer, they must be at least 8 weeks long. Additionally, the work experience must be a minimum of 240 hours. Start and end dates need not coincide with the first and last day of the semester, but must fit within the semester in order to ensure that final reports and grades are submitted in a timely manner.

During the academic year, students cannot work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Internships requiring more than 20 hours of participation per week are considered full-time. Students who are in their final semester of study and who require, and are registered for, no more than 3 non-internship credits plus 0.5 to 3 internship credits – for a total of 3.5 to 6 credits for the term – may be approved for a full-time internship. During the summer, students are permitted to work full-time, provided that they are not also taking more than 3 non-internship credits for the summer term. Work hours must be consistent with the organization’s regular work schedule.

Work experiences must comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act. As such, students must be paid at least minimum wage unless specific exceptions apply. The Department of Labor outlines a test regarding unpaid internships. Employers should consult their legal counsel for more information.

Employers must agree to assign a responsible, ranking employee as the student’s supervisor. This individual will provide appropriate supervision and mentoring, including establishing clear goals and expectations regarding tasks and projects. Employers must be willing to submit written midterm and final evaluations of the student’s work. Experiences will not be approved for companies that are not permitted to submit written evaluations. Employer supervisors must review the student’s final report so that proprietary and/or confidential information can be removed.


Students must obtain an offer letter on organization letterhead from the prospective employer. This letter must identify the company, its address, contact information, the student’s job title, and start and end dates of the internship.

Students will submit their offer letter to their departmental academic adviser. The department will be responsible for all academic matters related to the work experience. The department will evaluate the relevancy of the work experience and, if approved, will direct the student to register for the appropriate CP course.

For approved international students, the department will provide the Office of Global Services (OGS) with all relevant information in order to process work authorization. International students cannot begin working until they have received work authorization.

The company supervisor must provide a mid-term evaluation and a final evaluation to the student's department. The student will submit a project report at the end of the term. Some departments or programs may also require a presentation. The report (and presentation, if required) will be included as a part of the assessment for the student’s grade. Departments will provide guidelines for the reports. All CP courses will be graded as pass/fail.

With the department's approval, consecutive work experiences may be completed with the same employer. Students must complete the same registration process and follow all procedures for re-applying and enrolling in another CP course. International students must obtain prior permission from OGS for every period of employment. Students are not authorized to work during the interim period between the end of their prior CPT and the beginning of their next even if they will have an internship with the same company; this would jeopardize their visa status.

Anti-Reneging Policy

NYU Tandon does not permit graduate students to renege on internship offers, as it is unfair to companies, harms the school’s reputation, and discourages companies from continuing to hire current and future students. Even when at-will laws apply, students may not renege on an internship offer once accepted. Students may turn down an offer if it is not to their satisfaction. However, once an offer has been accepted or approved by the student's department for credit, students are expected to and required to honor their agreement with that company, even if they should later receive a better offer from a different company. Once an internship has been approved by a student’s department for academic credit, no other internship will be approved for the same student in the same semester. Students must complete their internships; leaving an internship before the end date is prohibited.

Penalties for violating the anti-reneging policy include, but are not limited to: receiving an F for the internship course and not being permitted to do another internship. For international students, this means no further CPTs will be approved.