Literature in Translation (Minor)

Department Website

Program Description

The Department of French Literature, Thought, and Culture welcomes students with no knowledge of French as well as students who learned French in secondary school or at another university and who wish to maintain their language skills and/or study the literature, culture, or thought traditions of France and the Francophone world. Advanced courses are also suitable for native speakers and heritage speakers of the language.  The department also offers a wide variety of courses in English that can be counted toward this minor, along with courses offered in English in other language and literature departments.  With an emphasis on the diversity of the French-speaking world and on urgent questions such as gender, race, and the environment, the department’s course offerings are constantly evolving. The department offers a variety of majors and minors, all of which complement a wide variety of majors, including but not limited to art history, comparative literature, economics, history, international relations, journalism, music, and psychology. Departmental majors and minors are strongly encouraged to study away at NYU Paris, located in the heart of the historic Latin Quarter.

At the Maison Française, students can attend films, lectures, concerts, and Café et Conversation events, as well as other undergraduate events throughout the academic year. The Department of French Literature, Thought, and Culture hosts a chapter of Pi Delta Phi, the national French honor society. The NYU French Club, run by and for our undergraduates, fosters camaraderie and increases interest in French language and Francophone cultures within the NYU community.

This minor is for students who have an interest in the literature of several different countries and/or cultures and wish to explore that literature through English translation. This minor is declared and advised through the Department of French.

Minor Declaration

To request declaration of a minor, CAS students should visit the host department. To request declaration of a cross-school minor, CAS students should complete the online Minor Application available in their Albert Student Center. Students may also use the Minor Application in Albert to request cancellation of a CAS or cross-school minor.