Designed to train seasoned public service professionals for the next step, this flexible program trains you in leadership and management skills.
As a passionate, experienced professional, you’re too driven and committed to your work to stand still for long. You’re looking for new skills, expanded networks, and ways to apply your leadership experience to make the maximum impact. Our Executive MPA (EMPA) program is designed to combine your experience and exposure with a professionally-focused education to advance your career and help you deliver social impact at an even higher level.
- An inspiring, cohort-based community. EMPA students take part in orientation, core courses, and co-curricular programming within a cohort of service-minded professionals. You'll create powerful connections with fellow students and alumni that will expand your network and inspire your professional journey.
- Individualized coaching and leadership development. We support EMPA students’ professional development through executive coaching, leadership development courses, and a co-curricular series featuring organizational leaders and skill-building workshops.
- A customizable curriculum. You'll work closely with a faculty advisor to develop an individual learning plan based on your unique career goals. About two-thirds of the curriculum consists of elective coursework you can cluster around specific topic areas or skill sets.
- Full- or Part-Time Study. You can complete the program within a year of full-time study, or two or more years of part-time study, with the option to alternate between the two.
- Flexible Scheduling. You may take elective courses as your schedule permits: on Saturdays (mornings/afternoons), during the week (days/evenings), or a combination of the two.
Public Service Leaders
EMPA students learn to lead organizations and address public service challenges at the highest level in the nonprofit, public, and private sectors.
NYU Wagner’s Executive MPA for Public Service Leaders teaches seasoned professionals to lead organizations to address the world's most pressing challenges. Students are trained in rigorous methods of management and leadership to develop skills and tools to affect positive change in their field. The program is designed for professionals who have a minimum of eight years of work experience, with increasingly progressive management and leadership responsibility.
International Public Service Leaders
EMPA students interested in international development policy and management can focus their curriculum on leading organizations in an global context.
NYU Wagner’s Executive MPA (EMPA) for International Public Service Leaders teaches seasoned professionals to lead organizations to address the world's most pressing challenges. The EMPA helps graduates craft careers in government, nonprofits, international organizations, and the private sector. Students are trained in rigorous methods of management and leadership to develop a comparative perspective, skills, and tools to affect positive change in a global context. They share the common vision of leaving the world a better place while working across sectors.
The program is designed for professionals who have a minimum of eight years of work experience, with progressively increasing management and leadership responsibility, as well as a background or strong interest in international development management and policy.
Admission to the EMPA program requires the following:
- Online Application
- Letters of Recommendation
- Interview (by invitation only)
- Standardized Test Scores
- Application Fee
See EMPA Application Checklist for admission requirements and instructions specific to this program.
International Applicants should review the International Applicant Checklist for a complete and comprehensive list of application requirements and instructions.